NORTHWEST INDIANA Car ACCIDENT LAWYER
A car accident often leaves you shaken and disoriented. You may not realize right away that that you’ve been injured. You should always get yourself checked out in an emergency room or doctor’s office, regardless of how you feel. Some injuries don’t become obvious for a few days, and you may have to go back later for additional medical treatment. A common injury in a car accident is whiplash, which usually gets worse after a few days. Even a serious injury like a herniated disc may not be apparent at first.
After you’ve gotten medical attention, you should call the car accident lawyers at the Alvarez Law Office in Crown Point as soon as possible. Don’t talk to with any insurance adjuster who contacts you. Don’t discuss your injuries or how the accident happened with anyone until after you’ve consulted your lawyer.
DO I REALLY NEED An Auto Accident LAWYER?
There is nothing legally preventing you from negotiating with the insurance company yourself, but research has shown that self-negotiated settlements are usually much lower than settlements or jury verdicts obtained with a trained car accident lawyer. Insurance companies want to settle for the lowest amount possible, and their adjusters are trained to move in quickly and make low settlement offers. An auto accident lawyer will collect and analyze accident reports, interview witnesses, and may hire traffic safety experts to reconstruct the accident scene to demonstrate that you weren’t at fault. Your lawyer will also gather the medical records to document your injuries. The law restricts the amount of time you have to file a lawsuit; having an attorney will keep you from missing statutory deadlines.
WHAT SHOULD I BRING TO THE INITIAL CONSULTATION?
If you’re in a car crash, try to collect as much information as you can at the scene: the names of the drivers and owners; the license plate numbers and insurance information for all vehicles involved in the accident; the names and contact information of witnesses to the accident. If possible, take detailed photos of all vehicles, especially the part of the vehicle where the impact occurred. You should also get photos of any traffic signals and signs, the street, surrounding buildings, landscaping, and any other relevant features.
You will also need to document damages. Make certain that you don’t leave anything out when describing your injuries to a doctor. If you don’t mention your symptoms to the doctor, there will be no record of them.
Along with medical records, you’ll need to have pay records from your job to document any lost wages, and records of expenses for help with everyday tasks, such as housework, lawn work, shopping, or driving, if you are unable to do these things yourself. Keeping an injury diary is often helpful.
Common Reasons for Car Accidents in the Northwest Indiana Area
If you’ve recently gotten in a major car accident, there is a chance you weren’t the sole cause of it. If you’re traveling in the Crown Point, Hammond, or South Bend areas, there are many possible reasons for the accident, like faulty equipment or a driver hitting you on your route. Over the years, we’ve noticed ways others have caused wrecks in the Northwest Indiana area including:
- Texting or other driving distractions: If another driver is texting or talking on their phone or trying to operate their navigation system, this distraction may cause them to no longer notice you or other drivers on the road. This can cause them to hit you, which can result in harmful injuries.
- Intoxicated while driving: Since the bustling city of Chicago is known for its exciting nightlife, you may find drivers drinking at the bars and irresponsibly driving home. Even if you’re driving in South Bend, Crown Point or Hammond, an intoxicated driver may hit you unexpectedly, which may entitle you to legal compensation with the help of our firm.
- Driving while tired: Operating a vehicle while drowsy is incredibly dangerous and can cause drivers to veer off the road or even into another lane, hitting you or other cars. Our firm can handle this case by holding the driver accountable and making them responsible for their actions.
- Speeding: If a driver is commuting to or from the Chicago area, they may try to beat the crazy traffic by speeding. This can be reckless behavior that causes them to crash into you with high impact. With the right law firm, you can make sure they’re accountable for any harm done to you during this hit.
- Unsafe Government Roads: If road construction causes your vehicle to lose control, you could be entitled to compensation from the local or state government. If there are debris in the road, absent road signs, or dangerous construction zones, we can work with you to help hold them financially responsible.
- Improper Installation of Car Parts: If any of your car parts were recalled or fixed incorrectly without your knowledge, we can help you earn the financial justice you deserve by finding the manufacturer or worker responsible and hold them liable for their actions.
How Do You File a Claim if I Was Partly the Cause?
Even if the car or truck accident was partly your fault, you could still receive some compensation if the wreck wasn’t entirely your doing. If this were to happen, we would work with you to gather all the evidence that proves another person or government worker caused the collision as well. We would present your case to officials and if it were to win, you could receive financial compensation for the percentage of the wreck that wasn’t your fault.
Do I Need to Appear in Court?
Image via Flickr by steakpinball
We work to make sure we’re the only ones who negotiate with the insurance company or other party on your behalf. Depending on the significance and severity of your case, we may ask you to appear in court if the insurance companies are proving to be difficult to work with. Whether or not we’re in court, we fight to extreme lengths to negotiate with the insurance companies or other parties to ensure you’re receiving the amount that is financially owed to you.
We gather all of your evidence, including your doctors’ notes and documentation, pictures of damages, witness reports, and any other information that helps your case and present it to an impartial judge and jury. We don’t stop fighting for you until justice has been served for the other party.
How Do You Determine How Much My Claim is Worth?
Immediately after your accident, you should head to the hospital and receive a full check-up from your doctor to determine if any serious injuries occurred during the wreck. We can take this documentation to help you file your claim and receive a fair settlement. If you received serious injuries and have documentation of it from your doctor, we can work with you to speak with an attorney so you can earn the money you deserve to help pay for medical bills and cover you financially.
Once we assess the injuries and other impacts your accident has had on your life, we determine the value of your claim through sharp calculations. The final claim result is usually dependent on the seriousness of your injury, mentally and physically. When measuring and reporting your damages, we categorize them as either economic or non-economic. Common economic damages include:
- Damage to your property, like your car, for example
- Any loss to your overall earnings, income, or other wages
- Medical expenses you’ve been paying after the collision
Non-economic damages are also potential factors you can use when filing your claim. These include:
- Mental suffering or emotional and physical pain you’re undergoing after the wreck
- No longer enjoying life
- Loss of a companion or loved one due to the accident
With the right lawyer, an individual can stand up to large insurance companies and win. Alvarez Law will help you in your claim for financial compensation for medical expenses, lost earnings and potential future earnings, household assistance, transportation to medical appointments, pain and suffering, disability, disfigurement, inconvenience, loss of enjoyment of life, emotional anguish, and other accident- related damages. Car accident injuries can be painful and life changing. When you’ve been injured because of something another person did, you deserve full compensation. With the knowledgeable, experienced, professional, and committed auto accident lawyers at the Alvarez Law Office, you are well on your way to financial recovery.
call alvarez law today
If you are experiencing any of these impactful losses, you should tell us as soon as you sit down to discuss your case with one of our attorneys. We will note this and use it as evidence and a possible claim for your case. We’ll be there to help you get through these losses and make sure you receive every penny you deserve after this traumatic experience.
Whether you’re located in Chicago or the surrounding areas such as South Bend, Crown Point, Hammond, or Indianapolis, at Alvarez Law, we’ve got you covered. Our confident and dedicated team of automobile injury attorneys work hard to ensure you receive the financial award that is rightfully yours. To learn more or to sign up for a free consultation with our team of car injury lawyers, call us toll free at 866-425-8273.
Call today for a free consultation. We take cases on contingency, so you pay nothing unless we win.